If you want to loose weight and to improve your health, consider eating lettuce more often. If lettuce is not often found on your table as a side dish, it’s time to change your habits, because this crispy green and leafy vegetable, packed with essential nutrients, is good for your health. There are few types of lettuce and they are all nutritious and as in most vegetables, the darker the leafs the greater the nutrient content. Both the steams and the leafs can be used.
These are some of the reasons why you should consume lettuce more often:
1. It is low in calories and fat. The smaller bowl of lettuce contains only 12 calories.
2. Improves weight loss. Lettuce contains a lot of fiber. It will always fill you up, and will improve the digestion. Also, the fibers help the body to cleanse.
3. For a healthier heart. Vitamin C and beta-carotene from the lettuce together prevent the oxidation of the cholesterol.
4. Contains omega-3 fatty acids. Lettuce holds the perfect balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
5. High in protein. As many as 20 percent of the calories from lettuce come from protein.
You might also like: Top 10 Foods that Will Help You Stay Hydrated
6. Provides peace of mind. Lettuce contains a substance called Lactucarium, having opiate-like properties but without the harmful side effects.
7. Lettuce maintains optimal levels of acidity of the body. Minerals found in lettuce helps remove toxins from the body and maintains the optimum balance of acidity. This is important because good levels of acidity gives the body energy, it provides peace of mind and has a positive effect on the skin.
8. It has low glycemic index. Foods that have a low glycemic level, like lettuce are especially recommended for people who care about the blood sugar levels, or want to lose weight.
9. It is most commonly eaten raw. Lettuce is almost always eaten fresh, thus supplying the body with many useful substances that would be otherwise destroyed by heat treatment.
10. It has a great taste. Although there are not many calories, lettuce, combined with a variety of sauces has phenomenal taste. Therefore, you can enjoy this juicy salad and provide your body with useful and healthy ingredients.